I was so excited to install the Windows 10 update. Soon after a fresh install, I was busy setting up my machine dev ready. And then it happened, on next login when I logged-in to my machine, I was welcomed with Critical Error – “Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in”. I searched through the internet and could see the blame game.
Blame game aside. If that ever happened to you, continue reading. The closest reason - you might have installed Avast Anti-Virus or Avast Internet Security. In my case, I have installed Avast Internet Security. I purchased an Avast license for Window 10 (sadly). Ya, I curse myself for that now. So, how to fix it? Here it goes:
1. Do not click on ‘Sign out now’. If you click on that, you will be logged-out. And, no matter how many times you try to re-login you’ll be welcomed with this critical error.
2. Rt-click on Desktop and create New Folder. If there’s already a folder, you can open that.
3. After opening folder, go to This PC.
4. From Menu –> Computer –> Uninstall or change a program.
5. Search for Avast, select it and Repair it.
6. After Repair is completed, Restart you machine.
It should have been fixed by now If not, repeat above steps (again and again).
Hope this helps.