Internet Explorer 9 beta Quick-Tabs Extender

Internet Explorer 9 beta comes with a new-feature called – Quick-Tabs which displays your active website visits.

By default, the Quick-Tab displays only 2 Rows of active websites, with 5 websites in each row.

Default view

Ever imagined about, extending the number of Quick-Tab Rows, to a value say – 3 Rows.

Modified view

IE9b Quick-Tabs Extender helps you to extend the number of Quick-Tab Rows.

All you have to do is to download and run the application.

IE9b Q-Tab Extender

Specify the required number of Quick-Tab Rows. Hit Apply and Restart your browser. And, You’re done…!!!

Download IE9b Quick-Tab Extender


  1. This is applicable to Internet Explorer 9 Beta and above
  2. The Minimum and Default Quick-Tab row count is 2 and Maximum Quick-Tab row is 5. This is by design.
  3. .NET Framework 2.0 is required to run this application.

Failed with 0x80070643 – Fatal Error during installation

That was a surprise, when the standalone installer threw an error" – “Failed with 0x80070643 – Fatal Error during installation”, while installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1 standalone ISO installer.

I preferred an ISO installer, due to internet connectivity reason.

Note: Before doing anything, take time to run Microsoft Visual Studio Patch removal tool. It will remove all the pre-releases and make your PC ready for an SP1 installation.

I got wired-up on the first install itself, on my Vista Ultimate machine. The installer threw an error, when it try to install ‘..NET Framework SP1’ , as “Failed with 0x80070643 – Fatal Error during installation”.


A thorough Binging made it clear that you can easily solve the issue by installing the web-installer version of VS2008 SP1. I finally paused at one blog post and took time to read the article. I must say, its beautifully explained. But, the scenario was entirely different from mine. However, as a last hope, I tried the solution mentioned in that post.

Charmingly! (as he said), it worked.


Run the VS 2008 SP1 installer from the command-prompt, by appending a ‘/log’ switch along with a target-location for the log file.


In the figure, I performed installation, by collecting the installation-logs into a sample-file 'sp1_log.txt' in E:\ drive. If you ask me, what I'd done with this log, I'll turn around and start walking away.

I don't know what's the miracle with ‘/log’ switch. Anyway, its working and I'm happy.

Please note , It takes some time to install the SP1 package, when installed using ‘/log’ switch. So, have patience. :)

Installer encountered an error : 0x80070422

You might see above error, when you try to install an update downloaded manually from the Microsoft Download Center or when you enable Automatic Updates.

Error_UpdateInstallation_Windows 7

Last time this happened to me, when I tried to install the update that I've manually downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. Here is the solution to fix it.

1. Take Run (Win + R) –> type Services.msc

2. Make sure that BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is running.

3. Make sure that your Windows Update service is running.

Try to install the update again. If problem persists, restart both the service and you're done.